[MUD-Dev] Text Parsing

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Mon Jun 7 17:11:24 CEST 1999

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> On 12:49 PM 6/3/99 -1000, I personally witnessed Nathan F Yospe jumping=
 up
> to say:
> >
> >Am I the only one here who uses a NLP for *output*?=20
>=20
> Hmm. An interesting thought. I'd dismiss it purely on its face as a dum=
> idea, but that would be unfair -- because I've never seen it done, so I
> just plain don't see what benefits are involved. Enlighten me; this is =
> concept I've never even considered. Maybe it *is* a dumb idea... but th=
en
> again, maybe it's a huge breakthrough that will radically alter my
> perception of how output *ought* to be generated. Tell me more. Why do =
you
> do this, and what do you gain?
>=20

The closest thing i have ever come to do this was an assignment in
prolog in university, where i had to write an interpreter for=20
'a subset of english' that allowed me to translate it in to algebra

everyone loves hanna if they are male
forall x, exist y | love(x,y) && male(x) && hanna(y)

.. because of the way prolog was build, entering the algebaic expression
would cause the program to generate all sentences that would evaluate to
that expression.

as for 'the subset of english' .. yes it was an extremely small subset,
and the wonderful thing about prolog was, that if the sentence could be
translated into more than one algebraic expression, prolog would list
them all (infinitely if required, hehe).

I must admit that i have not tried this as a part of a MUD either.=20

Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk=

address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425   =
  __|
 Dybendalsvej 74 2. th, | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological =

 2720 Vanl=F8se, Danmark. |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of D=
enmark|

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu