[MUD-Dev] Languages (slightly offtopic, was Text Parsing)

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Sun Jun 6 12:42:57 CEST 1999

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Darren Henderson wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
>
> > Because reducing the damage/healing numbers sucks. It means that someone
> > can just hit (as an example), their DRINK HEALTH button over and over as
> > quickly as possible in order to heal themselves to full essentially
> > instantly.
>
> I would think something is wrong with a "DRINK HEALTH" function like that,
> I would think it should have some limit to effectiveness....drink to much
> at a time and its poison, loses its effect, something... beyond that
> they should be getting the crap kicked out of them while they are stoping,
> finding the vial, kicking back a cold one etc....
>
> I'd go so far to say that drinking a potion during combat is something
> that one should do at great peril unless they have a party and someone
> that can defend them while they're occupied. Same for lighting a pipe or
> casting a complex spell...would take some very cool headed hero to ignore
> that double bladed ax being swung at his head while he hunts for a match.
> At the very least their defense should be lowered and they should lose a
> round to attack in.

Ahh. See, as I explained, issues like "realism" are expendable as far as
Achaea's combat goes. All these "shoulds" you have don't make a lot of
sense to me, unless you assume that everyone's mud is essentially the
same. I'm starting to be sorry I ever attempted to explain our combat
system, as there seems to be no understanding of it, and lots of
misunderstanding (maybe my fault for not explaining it well enough).
--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu