[MUD-Dev] Rooms

Ross Nicoll rnicoll at lostics.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 5 22:47:36 CEST 1999

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Greg Miller wrote:

> > You also need to be able to define simple layouts, for the rendering (is
> > that what you meant earlier, actually?). Items need to be able to be
> > defines as associated; for example around a table, you have three equally
> > spaced chairs. Or if you have three tables in a row/column. Or even in a
> > matrix formation. Just gets more and more fun doesn't it :)
> Yeah, basically this gives you something similar to what I was
> describing, but with fuzzier positions. One advantage I see is that
> you'd have something scalable in terms of detail. With the coordinate
> system, you have to decide on a more or less fixed scale for the
> numbers.

> While we're on the subject, what does this positioning buy us in terms
> of gameplay, assuming we get the technical side worked out? The first
> things that spring to mind are generated descriptions from different
> locations in the room, so maybe we can hide items a little more
> effectively--but what else?
Really, actually, it just gives us a non-coordinate based system that can
build room descriptions. I can't see a way of determing what can be seen
from any point in the room without resorting to coordinates. Although a
hybrid room/coordinate/relative location system could be interesting, and
possibly more flexible. Certainly, I can think of objects relative to one
another more easily than trying to define their location relative to one
another, by hand...
--

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu