[MUD-Dev] Rooms

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Sat Jun 5 22:28:11 CEST 1999

Greg Miller wrote:

[snip]

> While we're on the subject, what does this positioning buy us in terms
> of gameplay, assuming we get the technical side worked out? The first
> things that spring to mind are generated descriptions from different
> locations in the room, so maybe we can hide items a little more
> effectively--but what else?

Well, I have ranged combat within rooms.  Different weapons have different
ranges - so someone armed with a greatsword might well kill an unarmed
opponent before that person could even come within range (the exception
being stealth attacks, where the target doesn't know you're coming).  I
plan to add functionality for ranged weapons in the near future.  Such a
system could also take into account the positioning objects as described
previously - did your opponent kick your weapon across the room after he
disarmed you?  Is there some cover between you and that archer?  Can you
back up to the wall and prevent more than two of the cityguards attacking
you at the same time?

For those who are interested, I've appended an example of my combat system
in action.  Notice that a longsword has slightly better range than a sabre.

<[Healthy] [Exp:371]> look
On the bank of The Blackwater
You are standing on the riverbank, which continues to the east.  To the
north, you spot the rapidly flowing river.  Looking south and west, you spot
a grassy plain.  The tall, thick grass brushes against your trousers.
Looking ahead, the gushing river continues some distance.  Even further
ahead still, you see the far riverbank.
Luke is standing eight feet away.

<[Healthy] [Exp:371]> kill luke
You advance towards Luke, who is now seven feet away.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
Luke draws an iron longsword from his belt.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
You advance towards Luke, who is now six feet away.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
Luke's slash misses you.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
Luke swings back his longsword and aims at you!

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
You advance towards Luke, who is now five feet away.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
You swing back your sabre and aim at Luke!

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
Luke draws an iron dagger from his belt.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
You parry Luke's blow with your dagger.
Sparks fly from your blades as they clash!
Luke's slash misses you.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
Your slash misses Luke.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
Luke swings back his longsword and aims at you!

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
You swing back your sabre and aim at Luke!

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
Luke spins into the Wasp fighting stance.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
Luke slashes you incredibly hard.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Healthy]>
You slash Luke very hard, hitting his glove.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Wounded]>
Luke swings back his longsword and aims at you!

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Wounded]>
Luke exclaims 'This fight shall be your last!'.

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Wounded]>
You swing back your sabre and aim at Luke!

<[You:Healthy] [Target:Wounded]>
Luke slashes you incredibly hard, slicing off your nose.

<[You:Hurt] [Target:Wounded]>
You swing your blade in a wide arc, slicing off Luke's left arm.
You feel your humanity slipping away.
Luke has been slain.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu