[MUD-Dev] Text Parsing

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Thu Jun 3 00:18:43 CEST 1999

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> Yes, there is, but if it looks like NLP then it better be NLP. If I

So what "looks like NLP"? The parsers of every single mud I've ever
played used something that was meant to "look like NLP" to varying
degrees.

> "pick up the sword" then I should also be able to expect your parser to
> understand "put down the axe", "pick up all the swords", and -- the
certainly, since these are parallel.

real
> pisser -- "pick up the best sword". That's really what I want in most

How does that follow?

> If your parser *looks* like it understands English, then it *better*
> understand English. Otherwise, your parser is a sham. It's fake; it

So all mud parsers are shams?

> I would rather do a *good* job supporting one parser than an "acceptable"
> job supporting two.

Who says two parsers are necessary? One parser can handle both long and
short forms. Many muds do that now. Supporting "get sword" and "get the
rusty sword" doesn't imply the use of two different parsers.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
President Clinton was acquitted; then again, so was O. J. Simpson.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu