[MUD-Dev] Languages (slightly offtopic, was Text Parsing)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Wed Jun 2 23:09:46 CEST 1999

On 07:10 PM 6/2/99 -0700, I personally witnessed Matthew Mihaly jumping up
to say:

>As an example, in 4 seconds, I may have to:
>
>   light pipe
>   smoke pipe
>   apply mending to left arm
>   apply mending to right arm
>   charge death
>   fling death at <target>
>
>If you can type the equivalent of that much text, without error, in 4
>seconds, while under pressure, then I bow to you as the Master Typist that
>you are =).

Oh yeah?! Well, I give you the finger for making a combat system that
requires that! ;)

Seriously, if your combat system requires that many commands of that length
and complexity to be typed in that short a time, it's pretty badly broken.
You have designed a combat system that it is humanly impossible to use
effectively. Your MUD is designed to be played by machines. Not people.

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu