[MUD-Dev] Text Parsing

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Wed Jun 2 15:51:46 CEST 1999

Ben Greear wrote:
> However, has anyone ever done any study or seen anything that proports
> to explain what a common (for some value of common) user would like?
> In other words, usability?

No, but I've noticed that the DiscWorld mudlib has a nice parser... "get
swords" picks up all swords in the current room, "kill monsters" attacks
all npcs, etc. Short notation for common actions, and all of it in plain
english.

> For instance, which of these would you chose to type:
> get the sword from the second bag
> get sword 2.bag
> ge sw 2.bag

None of them... The first is too much typing, the last two are nonsense
:)

> Hrm, think I'll snoop the first 20 commands or so a newbie enters...might
> prove informative...

Good idea... Please report back to us if you get any interesting
results.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
President Clinton was acquitted; then again, so was O. J. Simpson.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu