[MUD-Dev] Re: META: What are you looking for in this list?

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Thu Sep 24 11:02:03 CEST 1998

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:22:41 -0700
Caliban Tiresias Darklock<caliban at darklock.com> wrote:

> On 07:22 PM 9/23/98 -0700, I personally witnessed J C Lawrence
> jumping up to say:

>> The MUD Development mailing list is not platform, language or
>> game specific, but concentrates on discussing the design and
>> implementation of any and all MUD servers and systems. ...

> Hmmm... looking at this, I could boil it down to "We talk about
> building MUDs. Holy wars are off-topic."

Quite.

> Doesn't quite have the serious feel yours does, though. In fact,
> it sounds downright silly, and would likely increase the noise
> level. ;)

Exactly.  Part of the idea of the charter is to convey the idea that
MUD-Dev is *slightly* formal; that there is a certain level of
professional respect and decorum expected.  I don't want to put it
anywhere near the stuffed shirt brigade, but I do want to make it
very clear that d00Dz are not welcome.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com