[MUD-Dev] Re: META: What are you looking for in this list?

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Thu Sep 24 10:56:40 CEST 1998

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:45:57 -0400
James Wilson<jwilson at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> Other than that -- want to start writing such a 101 text?.

> I volunteer to assist with any such effort. You also mentioned the
> various scenarios:

The scenarios are probably an easier task to start with, especially
once I roll the older archives off tape.

> This, as well as a '101' or 'Mud Programming Encyclopedia', would
> be quite useful. They could (should) also be cross-refenced back
> to the list archives, pointing to relevant threads.

I am currently in the process of fleshing out the Library section of
Kanga.Nu with mirrors of relevant pages and a set of pages acting as
an index (cf the MUDdex) and guide across the collection.  Topics so
far range from hard core coding considerations (such as the various
unix/sockets/etc FAQ's) to more classical MUD topics, game design etc.

Note to all: Suggestions of sites to add to the collection are
welcome if sent to mud-dev-owner at kanga.nu.

> Should such a thing live on kanga.nu itself?

I don't see why not.  (Bandwidth will be improving significantly
before too too long (gotta love ADSL))

> Or would it be better to put it elsewhere?

As one of the major reasons to put it on Kanga.Nu is web rot, I'd
like to keep the master copy there.  I see no problem however ith
having other external mirrors of the Kanga.Nu base.

> I have access to some space on a stable web server, but I don't
> think they provide anything beyond the basic access (e.g. searches
> would be nice).

WebGlimpse will enter the fray yet again for Kanga.Nu...

>> I'm sure Koster would appreciate assistance in collecting such
>> 'laws' in cogent form.

> maybe we can add this to the '101' project .

True.  I suspect it would be better to leave them isolated for now.
Its easier to solve narrow problems than to render grand designs.
We can then do the link-ups afterwards.

>> ...Honourary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging
>> Monolith...

> what exactly does this "Teamer's" stuff mean anyways?

An old in-house joke concerning the fact that I used to work for
IBM, am an OS/2 advocate, refuse to join Team OS/2, my posting
habits in the old ILink OS-Discuss forum, etc etc etc.  Its rather
deep and endlessly self-referential.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com