[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev's DevMUD: a word of caution

ApplePiMan at aol.com ApplePiMan at aol.com
Sat Oct 31 20:04:41 CET 1998

At 10/31/98 4:20 PM Chris Gray (cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA)
altered the fabric of reality by uttering:

>DevMUD isn't really a MUD. DevCore might be a better name. What is
>being discussed has virtually nothing to do with the higher level
>game-related issues of a MUD. Hence, any discussion of that sort of
>stuff in relation to DevMUD is irrelevant, in my opinion. That sort
>of discussion is relevant to some modules (authentication, character
>control, presence/absence of combat, type of socials, etc.), but we
>haven't been discussing those things. We all know that those things
>are needed, but they are just not relevant to this discussion.

I have to agree wholeheartedly here, even though I fall squarely in the
designer's camp and simply following this thread, much less contributing,
has been sorely taxing. DevMUD, as I understand it, is intended more to
provide the tools for those of us who are designers to build our ideal
MUD than to be something that's fun "out of the box". As such, deep
discussion of what is the minimal core functionality that every MUD-like
game shares in common is exactly what *should* be happening, IMHO. Once
that's done, it's time to hash out the higher-level stuff (the modules),
and at that point I would agree a more structured top-down approach would
be more appropriate. But for now, I feel the discussion (or *most* of it
anyway) has been right on track.

-Rick.

Rick Buck, President and CEO  <mailto:rlb at big-i.com>
Beyond Infinity Games, Inc.