[MUD-Dev] Re: Laws of Online World Design

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Sun Oct 11 18:19:48 CEST 1998

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Koster, Raph wrote:

> Community size
> Ideal community size is no larger than 250. Past that, you really get
> subcommunities.

Once upon a time, I watched a documentary about this anthropologist (sp?)
watching people.  He asked the following questions (paraphrased, badly):

Our ancestors used to roam around in tribes of, say, a hundred.  Each
individual in a tribe knew about a hundred people (well) so how do we, in
today's society, cope with the urban jungle?  Well, each of us form a
tribe of our own spanning everyone we know well.  That means if you don't
know your nextdoor neighbour well, he's just one of the neighbouring
tribes.

Intriguing, different... Well, I thought it was good. :P

_O_O_  kllo at iee.org