[MUD-Dev] World Persistence, flat files v/s DB v/s ??

Sun Mar 22 19:45:56 CET 1998

[Matt Chatterley:]

:A valid notion. My mud is being set up so that rather than the (standard
:for LPmuds as far as I know) system of rebooting once per period of time
:(usually 24-48 hours), it will reboot at any time within a period of 6
:hours when there are no user connections open to the server.

Why do you need to reboot at all? If your system doesn't leak memory,
and if it can save its DB to disk consistently while running, then there
is no need. If it crashes, restart with the latest consistent copy of the
DB. What I do is to flush the DB caches to disk periodically, and when
that is done copy the resulting files to a backup directory. If this
is done without allowing any other actual writes to the DB files (changes
to the DB are OK, so long as no disk writes are done), then you get a
consistent snapshot of the world.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA