[MUD-Dev] Re: Analysis and specification - the dirty words of mud development?

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Fri Jun 19 10:39:13 CEST 1998

On Tue, 09 Jun 1998 21:56:19 -0700
Mike Sellers<mike at bignetwork.com> wrote:

> I think you've put this extremely well.  It's unfortunate, but as
> you say, the amount of analysis and design done is often comedic at
> best.  Of course, this is hardly peculiar to hobbyist muds --
> commercial muds (I'm not casting aspersions, Raph :-) ) and indeed,
> most professional games are developed with an astonishing lack of
> analysis, and with only a passing glimpse at what in other parts of
> the software world would be recognized as actual design.

This is hardly unique to commercial MUDs.  Its rampant thu much of the
commercial software development world.  I've been on many a project
where the __expected__ course was:  Write the damn thing, get it out
the door, and then figure out how you designed the thing (or even why
and how (if) it manages to work).

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com