[MUD-Dev] Re: The great crusade....

Mike Sellers mike at bignetwork.com
Tue Jun 16 11:18:24 CEST 1998

At 10:13 AM 6/16/98 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:13:45 -0500=20
>Koster, Raph<rkoster at origin.ea.com> wrote:
>
>I found this site thru a tangled weave.  SlashDot referenced an artcle
>at InfoWorld on Linux, which in turn referenced another article at
><forget zine> on Open Source, which in turn referenced an article at
>Utne reader on Open Source, and Utne Reader turned out to host forums
>and to have a search feature, which in turn revealed the existence of
>the Suite101 forum hoster which also has a search feature....  Click
>click click click -- lotsa windows open and an interesting looking
>match at Suite101 for "MUD".

WOw.  sigh.  This makes me wonder how much potentially good info I'll never
see, just because there is so much more out on the Net/Web that lies beyond
any individual's or aggregate's universal horizon.  I think I'm struggling
with the old-timer's delusion that makes you think you can still comprehend
the overall landscape of the Net.  Sigh again. =20

>> For even though I myself would prefer an environment where I were
>> totally immersed (that happens to be my style of play--IC all the
>> way, never to break it except in OOC areas if any), there's really
>> DAMN few people who actually like that.
>
>Aye, you can count me among those without interest in immersive RP,
>tho I'm not a GoP'er either.  <Eek!  Label shortage!>

Interesting sub-topic tho -- what our own individual preferences are.  I
think I'd say I'm a heavy RPer *sometimes*, with a healthy dose of OOC
hanging-out-with-friends (often sotto voce) thrown in.  I do like the
immersive quality, but heck I can get that from SimCity lots of times too! =
=20

In terms of IC/OOC, I always liked the "golden braid" method used in some
areas of the SCA, where, once inside the golden braid (a yellow rope used
to delimit the area), you were expected to be as much "in persona" as
humanly possible.  Stepping outside of this area made more typical IC/OOC
slippage okay again, but it was a real faux pas inside.  Exhausting, but a
lot of fun too -- just like a lot of heavy RP situations. =20

--

Mike Sellers=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Chief Creative Officer=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 The=
 Big Network

             =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Fun=A0=A0 Is=A0=A0 Good =20