[MUD-Dev] Re: Output Classification Notes, version 061098

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Sat Jul 11 14:32:25 CEST 1998

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Mike L Kesl wrote:

> . o O ( Output Classification ) O o .
> (mlkesl 061098)
>
> Problem: The server needs to send different types of output in different ways
> Goals: Provide client support beyond the standard 'dumb' telnet client.
>
> In order to be able to provide multiple clients in the most efficient way
> I suggest we classify the server's output. In other words different types
> of output will be sent in different ways, using the same method names of
> course, but that is irrelevant for the non coders.
>
> For example, suppose we have a system with three types of output:
>
> 	Environment 	:	eg. Room Descriptions
> 	Personal    	:	eg. Tells
> 	Combat 		: 	eg. Combat Messages

I do this with a markup language.  If the player is using my client,
I send the markup tags, if not, I send straight text.  I've found it
fairly easy to do, and poweful as well.  Using a markup language
allows you to add functionality quite easily...

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html