[MUD-Dev] Races and stuff (was: FAQ)

Marc Eyrignoux Marc.Eyrignoux at efrei.fr
Fri Jan 30 19:51:56 CET 1998

Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

> Marc Eyrignoux wrote:
>
> [skipped as irrelevant to the topic]
>
> > Server design:
> >         - in C++
> >         - using a relational database (surely MySQL)
> >         - under Linux RedHat 5.0
> >         - multi-threaded, event driven
> >         - still only in project phase
> >         - 1 world: small basic medieval-fantastic world, with basic races
> > like elves, humans, orks...
>
> Now, let's again chant: hate numbers 1,2,3; love numbers like x,y,z.
>
> In this context, what is a definition of a race? Which properties are
> specific for the <you-name-it-not-just-race>? How do I generalize that?
>
> And, getting to a big picture, how do I put down in concrete the MUD
> world object model?
>
> I believe, once this task is done, it would be much simpler to design it
> further, as well as implement.
OK I will search a solution between "a general race class" and "a class
per different race". Of course the best would be to store the infos
relative
to a particular race into text files (or within the database), but the
way
these informations are stored and which infos are stored is still to
determine.