[MUD-Dev] multiple intelligences

Brandon J. Rickman ashes at pc4.zennet.com
Tue Oct 14 00:57:04 CEST 1997

I just came across a book by Howard Gardner called _Frames of Mind_, the
Theory of Multiple Intelligences.  I thought it might be interesting fuel
for discussion re: skill systems, learning and training, creating new magic
systems, and bard justification.  (Bard justification being the quasi-flame
discussion of the usefulness of music skills in our pristine mud worlds.)

I've only read the first few sections, but the "types" of intelligence are
pretty easy to fathom from their names: linguistic, musical,
logical-mathematical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, interpersonal and
intrapersonal (there may be others).

I would say it the first of these, linguistic intelligence, that causes the
most problems in text-based muds.  The things a player says, the poetry a
bard composes, the encrypting of foreign languages in a realistic manner, are
all reliant on the actual person at the other end of the interface.  Trying
to model, or evaluate, language skills is, it seems, pretty unsatisfactory.
This is an area where I would agree with CJ that the character/avatar should
be "dumb as a post".

The other areas of intelligence are free to some interesting interpretation.
Mastery of special swordfighting skills could be dependant on musical
intelligence because of the rhythmic and contrapunctal elements  (like the
Renshai in those silly Reichert books).  Different schools of magic might be
based on different or different combinations of intelligence skills (this
might be rewarding in itself; imagine not having magic based on the
earth/water/fire/air model).

Further, a multiply intelligent character wouldn't be as horribly crippled
by a single low score in one area, unlike AD&D where low INT almost
guarantees you will get roasted by the next evil magician.  There might
actually be some challenge in playing a character with intellectual
shortcomings, or a disproportionate skill in one area.

Further speculation:

Wizardry would be liguistically and level based.  If the player can type they
can cast spells, according to their level.

Alchemy is based on logical-mathematical intelligence.  Figuring out the
right combinations, outside of the player's control of the character, of
components might require the manipulation of symbolic quantities.  While
recipes can be shared, being able to _write down_ and/or _understand_
the recipe would need a certain intelligence.

Witchcraft might be musically and bodily based, etc, &c.

There is the potential of some magical schools becoming dependent on
others; maybe a witch would be able to raise an alchemist's skills for a
long enough time to create a super healing potion.

And the bard thing: if you were to use musical intelligence as the basis of
some less-specialized class that would be its own justification.

- Brandon Rickman - ashes at zennet.com -
While I have never previously found a need for a .sig, this
may be considered one for the purposes of this list