[MUD-Dev] Re: Less numbers, more roleplaying.

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 28 14:57:09 CET 1997

On 28 Nov 97 at 9:56, Derrick Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Richard Woolcock wrote:
[snippety-snip]

> > Who would write the story out of interest?
>
> Town crier's announcement would most likely be automated.
> Joe would write the book in the library.
> The Bard's tale...Hrmm...Maybe the IMM who designed the 'stop the army of
> trolls' quest could pose as the bard and interveiw Joe.  Thus, the Imm
> would write the story while adding a few of Joe's "emelishments".  I would
> like to automate the Bard, but I doubt anything automated (by me) would
> sound...Bardish.  Also, The automation would have to be complicated enough
> to interview several witnesses and incorporate the differing versions into
> one story.  As much as I hate to burden my imms with any more work than
> the will already have to do, these stories will be one of the lasting
> results of the quests they design...part of the muds folklore.

How about player bards writing these epic poems.  Such activity would
form the primary means of their advancement.  Contests and performances
would provide amusement and more particularly full bellys for the player
bards.  Of course you have got a different game here.  Imagine a 100th
level bard who has never lifted a sword.

[cut-cut]

> > > Yes, or bypass an opponent completely if its too tough for them.  Usually,
> > > the problem of who to attack occurs when a group tries to swarm a single
> > > target (or group vs group).  I try to weight danger level vs difficulty
> > > level when picking an opponent.  Usually my 'intelligent' mobs try to pick
> > > out the mages in groups, as they can't cast spells while defending
> > > themselves (can't concentrate while dodging swords/claws), plus an ignored
> > > mage can _really_ pack a whallop.  After the (obvious) mages are gone,
> > > mobs then try to even the odds a bit by picking off the weaker players,
> > > then concentrate lastly on the well-protected fighter-types.
> >
> > That must make group fighting tactics somewhat unusual.  Do you have combat
> > formations, to allow players to protect their mages?

It's been documented that large predators in the animal kingdom will
seek out the lone, weak, young, or older members of their prey species.
While a large predator could easily take out any member of their prey
species, conservation of energy is most always observed.

That generalization being said, I think methods of attack are very tightly
bound to the species or creature being implemented.  More intelligent
critters have more devious approaches and methods of accomplishing their
goals.  If a party of 5 player humans encounters a single orc, why doesn't
the orc run away?

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.