[MUD-Dev] The limits of system

Jamie Norrish jamie at sans.vuw.ac.nz
Tue May 20 16:35:50 CEST 1997

Shawn Halpenny writes:

> But what if the guildmaster can't be around every time someone wants
> to tithe?

This could be used as an argument against almost ever yaspect of
MUDding. Frankly, I don't think the nuisance of not having a
particular player around is worth the strained nature of having code
deal with something that isn't about the physical model of the world.
That is something that would totally wreck any sense of "world" for
me.

> Automating something like the tithing does not detract from the
> social interaction of the process at all, IMO, since now you can
> have people dreaming up creative ways of circumventing the tithe
> code. _This_ is the sort of thing that I really like in the game:
> using one's head to add to or modify the social interaction (and the
> environment, for that matter).

Different strokes. To me, this is the *player* doing stuff, not the
*character*, where to me the latter is far more interesting.

Jamie