[MUD-Dev] Languages

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue May 20 13:45:25 CEST 1997

In <3.0.32.19970518132921.009a5fe4 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 05/18/97
   at 01:31 PM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

>> From: coder at ibm.net
>>
>> Side notes:  This may be changing.  There are two promises in the wind
>> for this area:  Cable modems: which would mean this machine would be
>> online 24hrs a day and I'd finally be able to offer a real FTP/Web site >>et al

>Um. not unless it was a VERY slow one.

>Virtually all cable modems are asymetric, whiel they provide
>(theoreticl;y) great downstream bandwidth to the user, they provide
>not much mroe thena standard modem back upstream. (Soem even USE a
>seperate telephone loine and modem, depending on whether the cable
>comapny is willign to install the back-channel equiptment on their
>net or not.)

In this specific case (when it comes to my area) they are offering a
fixed IP address, and (as you say) shared upstream bandwidth.  Judging
from the effective upstream bandwidth a friend is experiencing with
the same company in the LA basin (where there are many subscribers to
the net service), effective upstream bandwidth usually runs
equivalently to a dedicated bonded ISDN pair (128Kbps).

As happens said friend is also running a web site from his home
machine -- thru-put is quite respectable.

>Cable mdoems are another one of those misunderstood technologies that
>everyone is playing wishful-thinking on...

Yup, but this is one of the better offerings AFACT.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com