[MUD-Dev] Languages

Orion Henry ohenry at sdcc10.ucsd.edu
Mon May 19 21:07:40 CEST 1997

> [Adam W:]
>
> :Regardless of the technology, I know people that have them, and they
> :ROCK the hell out of any modem I have seen.  If nothing else the lack of
> :sudden hangups and other problems with phonelines; but the bandwith
> :is quite good.  I even know someone that's running a mud on one, although
> :it's pretty small (~30 players online at peak times).
>
> How are they handling the "floating IP-address" issue? Did they get a
> special deal of a fixed IP address from their cable company, or did they
> get a special domain name that the cable company routes correctly?

	The one person I know who is hosting a quake server on his
cable modem simply has some sort of script set up.  Any time he loses
his connection and has to get a new IP adress assigned it sends a message
over to his friends domain name server and it updates the name it servers.
His friend also has the domain name server set up so that other machines
wont cache the adress for more than 15(?) minuets... Anyhow it seems to
work quite well for what he is doing.

	Orion