[MUD-Dev] Death

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Mon Jun 9 13:38:48 CEST 1997

In <3.0.32.19970604220357.00a05808 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 06/05/97
   at 08:06 AM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

>Nope, quite the opposite. With power comes responsability. Yo ucan
>tell someone with TRUE power by what they DON'T do.

>I'ld suggest you consider your own behavior as a MUD wizard.  How
>capricious are you with those power?

Always the rebel:  As a Wiz on a MUD I consider myself more or less
the ultimate predator.  I have the ability to drive my prey species
(players) into extinction, or to allow if not encourage them to
prosper.  Its my choice and whimsy.

  Back when I had many aquariums, bred many rare fish yada yada.  I
actually supported myself this way.  At one point I had a red bellied
Pirahna which I kept in a tank with a small school of feeder guppies.
The pirahna was of sufficient size and rarely enough fed that it could
easily eat the entire school in one day without being over-stuffed.
It didn't.  Ever.  Instead it would eat *almost* all the guppies and
leave 5 or 6 alive.  Over the succeeding weeks and months those few
would breed and repopulate the school back to their former numbers.
The Pirahna would then go on a guppy binge and eat *almost* all of
them.  This repeated, again and again and again, year after year.  The
Pirahna go big and fat.  The guppies gradually bred for speed and
agility, but never eluded decimation.

I see Wizards in MUDs quite similarly even if the weapons are
different.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com