[MUD-Dev] Life

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Mon Jun 9 13:17:28 CEST 1997

In <199706061211.FAA02574 at user1.inficad.com>, on 06/06/97
   at 08:26 AM, Adam Wiggins <nightfall at user1.inficad.com> said:

>[Nathy Y:]

>> I KNOW I've seen an action movie in which the purported main character
>> dies a third of the way through. The rest of the movie focussed on his
>> father out seeking revenge. I wouldn't have minded seeing the physicist/
>> love interest character from The Saint fighting her way out of a hostile
>> russia after Val's character had been gunned down.

>Awesome, let me know if you remember the name.

The various Russian film companies have recently (last 10 years) taken
to doing James Bond type action movie clones.  One caveat:  The James
Bond type character almost always dies before the end, usually before
he sees the success of his actions.  I note in passing that this
appears to largely be a cultural expectation: Russians apparently
culturally require their heroes to be demonstratedly mortal, or at
least tragicly if subtly flawed (a cultural requirement for mortal
flaws as vs Grecian idealism and perfection?).

Once you leave the four basic plot forms, there's not a lot of
standardisation out there (thank the gods).

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com