[MUD-Dev] Learning

Jamie Norrish jamie at sans.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jun 5 16:28:53 CEST 1997

Todd Lair writes:

> If I locked a fully developed person with reasonable coordination in
> a room with three balls, they will not be able to juggle those balls
> with any amount proficiency without any outside intervention. In
> fact, a clean subject--someone who knows nothing of juggling at
> all--could probably spend a lifetime in that room without figuring
> it out.

Hmm, you're on shaky ground there, because you've introduced the
concept of knowledge of *ideas*. If someone knew that juggling
existed, they would most likely learn to juggle in a very finite time.

I think it can be assumed in most cases that the characters know much
of what is done in the world around them - a position from which they
are able to learn from doing.

Jamie