[MUD-Dev] The Lessons of Lucasfilm's Habitat

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Jun 5 14:36:31 CEST 1997

In <3.0.32.19970604223327.00a05808 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 06/05/97
   at 08:10 AM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

>At 08:24 PM 6/4/97 PST8PDT, JC Lawrence wrote:

>>I've been thinking of attempting a
>>three-feet-back-of-the-character's-head view with a 270 degree
>>fish-eye presentation.

>Yeah I forgot to mention that. Its what I call "over the shoulder"
>(can you tell I spent some time in a TV studio?)

Dr Cat as I recall calls it the "chase camera" view.

>Its not the logicly distinct, i think from 3/4 view, nmain difference
>being that you need to dela with perspective effects and don't have
>as good a field of view. I guess its another half-way thing, btw 3/4
>and first person.

That's why I'd go for the 270 degree, or even 330 degree spherical
view.  Knocking it down from the full 360 degree view gives a blind
spot (useful for sneaks) and avoids the disorientation problems of a
360 degree view with objects appearing and dissappearing between the
back edges.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com