[MUD-Dev] Computers can't....

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Thu Jun 5 00:46:25 CEST 1997

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997 21:45:06 PST8PDT, Jeff Kesselman
<jeffk at tenetwork.com> wrote:

>I woudl encourage those who dismiss creating RP type experience because "a
>jhudge can <X> but a computer can't..." to look again before dismissing it
>entirely.

The computer is incapable of adjusting its response to the current mood
and status of the participants. When the wizard goes off to the bathroom
and an aggro mob wanders in and attacks, your assessment of the party's
strength still includes the wizard, but he is not really there -- and by
nature, the wizard is expected to cast spells, which he can't because
he's off taking a big dump. If the cleric has just come back from the
dentist and is in a good deal of pain, and thus has trouble
concentrating, the computer cannot adjust and give him more time to
react. The computer can only react to what it has been given. The judge
can deduce and interpret far more.

Just my two cents. Personally, I feel that human-directed gaming tends
to be less sterile and more enjoyable. However, much of the grunt work
can be taken off the judge by the computer, freeing his mind and hands
for other things like adding the touches the computer *can't* add. Each
does a particular job extremely well, but neither can completely and
effectively replace the other.

 I am here to grind your eyes harder into the miasmic bile of life; to
 show you the truth and the beauty in the whisper of steel on silk and
 the crimson scent of blood as it rises to meet the caress of a blade.