[MUD-Dev] Rooms, 3D arrays, etc.

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Wed Jun 4 22:53:54 CEST 1997

At 08:34 PM 6/4/97 PST8PDT, JL wrote:
>> From: clawrenc at cup.hp.com
>>
>> Not only that, but you will get into side effect problems where
>> generating the sequence to derive from A from B results in a certain
>> value at B, but conversely generating the sequence from C to get B
>> gets a different value.  This can get *really* hairy to track down and
>> provably ensure will not happen.
>>
>Chris or anyone:
>
>Does multi-threading have any affects on seeds used in the random
>generator.  Does anyone know if this is truly thread safe?

The question is, is your psuedo random nume generator trhead safe code? If
not, semaphore it.

The seed we are assuming is absed o na fixed unchanging quantity sucha s
the coords of the room. Thsi is why we are using the psudeo random (besides
the fact tha there IS no true random on a computer, just psuedo random
generators. Most people fake it by seeding the psuedorandom library
function off of soemthing reasobnably unpredictable and quickly changing,
like up time in ticks.)

JK