[MUD-Dev] The reality of constant combat??

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Wed Jun 4 22:38:21 CEST 1997

[Jeff K:]
> >I do not distinguish any
> >differences between player killing and NPC killing.  There will be
> >in-game consequences to both situations.
>
> In-game how? Are you saying that you are building into the game system
> negative consequences of negative behavior?  Personally, I think this is

Game world, not game system.  Here's the difference.
Case A:

> kill fred
You cut Fred the NPC in half with your sword, killing him.
You receieve 10 experience points.
> kill bob
You can't kill Bob, he's a player!

No chance for interaction.  Headed off at the pass.

Case B:

> kill fred
You draw your sword and begin circling Fred, preparing for the attack.
Bob the citizen shouts, 'Guards!  Guards!  Bubba is attacking citizens at the
town square!'
Boffo the guardsman shouts, 'I'm on my way!'
Buffy the guardsman shouts, 'I'm on my way!'
Billy the guardsman shouts, 'I'm on my way!'
Biffo the guardsman shouts, 'I'm on my way!'

In this case *where* you kill is as important as *who*.  Don't forget
when and how, either - poison is pretty untracable, for example.

Even this example is highly crude - this is the very basic "justice code"
(bleh) found in any given cheeseball mud over the past five years or
so.  I'm more interesting in logical and interesting reactions.

Steal from a shopkeeper and not only does that shopkeeper refuse to serve
you, but you may be banned from that town altogether.
Steal from the dwarven merchant and you'll find that you're barred from
the dwaven keep.  All dwarven merchants charge you twice as much, if they
are willing to deal with you at all.  They inform their good buddies
the gnomes to keep an eye out for you, as you are not to be trusted.

Moral of the story is - make enemies, and you make the game 'harder' on
yourself.  Make friends, and you make it 'easier'.  Rarely, however,
is it this simply.  Frequently by befriending one person or group of
persons, you draw the dislike of another person or group of persons, or
vice versa.

See how this starts to get interesting? :)