[MUD-Dev] Life

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Tue Jun 3 20:35:12 CEST 1997

On Mon 02 Jun, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:03:04 PST8PDT, Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl>
> wrote:
> >This was, in its own way, equally unjustified as this player's original
> >act was.  While it may have put his perception of what he'd done to the
> >other player into better perspective,  it still comes down to doing the
> >same to him what you blamed him for doing in the first place.

> He was already a wanted man, and would have been removed from the game
> if we had just turned him in to the police.
> The death of the child could not be undone, and neither could his. We
> merely robbed him of the enjoyment he might have taken in that
> character's demise. Our justification was his actions, not his
> existence.

I'm not going to argue about this. I've done some very serious thinking
when I was a victim and came to a different conclusion than you have. I
don't belief either position is the only right one  so I'll try to life
(ICly) by what I feel is right  and agree when others want to deal with
this type of situation differently.

> >I've been thinking hard about this topic  and have come to the con-
> >clusion that  I don't belief this justice should be drawn out. If a
> >player does something grossly unacceptable  then his character must
> >be deleted. I know from personal experience that watching your tor-
> >mentor suffer is satisfying but it left a bad taste all the same.

> Deleting the character would have been unconscionable. in-game actions,
> in-game consequences -- if he had deliberately harassed the child's
> player through non-game methods like channels and tells, it would have
> been a different story;

harassment is harassment whether pursued IC or OOC. It is questionable if
this situation should be considered harassment though. His RP was defini-
tely not justified, even if it was consistent with his character. In that
much the staff that backed him was in the wrong.
I guess this discussion really belongs on rec.games.mud.admin though.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey