[MUD-Dev] Life

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Tue Jun 3 19:49:47 CEST 1997

At 07:15 PM 6/3/97 PST8PDT, caliban wrote:

>My justification for it is in-game rationale. I recall playing a game
>once where a character came into a bar and proceeded to harass the rest
>of the people there. The logical consistency of the situation demanded
>that something in-game happen to resolve it. What was actually done, and
>I was not fond of this, was the player was kicked offline and a staffer
>walked in to say "X is gone now. He won't be rejoining us. Carry on."

I agree it should be a solution of last resort....  for simple reasons of
scalability want as mucha s possible to be handled by the players themselves.

I believe however that there are times however when a sysop's hand is the
most appropriate solution.  Particualrly those cases where you suspect the
offender is offending just to get attention.  In game response in these
cases only feeds the problem.  Trolls exist...

JK