[MUD-Dev] Supporting RP+PG

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Wed Jul 2 07:28:53 CEST 1997

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Chris Gray wrote:

> [Chris L:]
> :This loses the ugliness of numbers while avoiding the chancy
> :interpretation of adjectives (just how hurt is "in agony" as vs
> :"moaning with pain"?)	Essentially you now have a percentage value.
> :The problem which it chares with all the other general systems is in
> :evaluating what 20% damage (or whatever) really means in game
> :functionality.
>
> :ie given a stat at XXX level, what can and can't I do because of that
> :stat?
>
> Well, there are going to be a few percentage levels which the game
> designer has chosen to be cut-offs for certain things. E.g. 10% health
> you are immobile, 50% you are slowed down significantly, etc. Just
> decorate the graphics with some kind of indicators. E.g. change the
> colour of the bar, or just have ticks alongside it. You could even
> do it gradually - have longer marks rather than ticks, and continuously
> change the colour of the bar as it passes the marks. Something tells
> me I've seen something like this before...

Yeah..

On a related note, I feel having "cut offs" at stark points a bad idea -
rather than KOing you at say 10%, I'd rather you had a chance to be KOed
at and after 10% (increasing as health goes down), and a curved fatigue
effect at and after 50%, rather than a sudden thing. Hitpoints aren't
continuous (truly.. but they are kinda), and are all too often used to set
stark and inflexible limits which don't give different physical makeups a
chance to really show their differences. :)

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"He can't stop us, we're on a mission from Glod!" - Soul Music (Pratchett)