Mud Settings

Greg Munt greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 15:38:54 CET 1997

The 'traditional' mud is set in a fantasy/medieval "Swords 'N' Sorcery"
environment. The only alternative seems to be some sort of futuristic
setting. (Please reply to this, if I'm wrong.)

Has anyone ever considered taking this medieval setting, with its
interfering gods, its magic, and its powerful heroes, and moving forward
in history, to a contemporary (or perhaps futuristic) setting? Has this
been done before, only I never knew about it?

The main thing to think about is how history has changed through the
presence of gods and magic. How has technology developed alongside these?
Does the technology require magic, and/or divine intervention, to function?
In a futuristic setting, could cyborgs be interpreted as divine avatars?
(C/F Forgotten Realms, where the source of magic is divine power.)

Does anyone have a world with a detailed history?
Greg Munt, greg at uni-corn.demon.co.uk
SysAdmins! Protect the innoccent! Remove rec.games.mud.admin from your servers!