[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Vadim Tkachenko vadimt at 4cs.com
Fri Dec 26 15:59:56 CET 1997

JC Lawrence wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 1997 19:20:57 GMT "Jon A. Lambert"
> <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > I do NOT believe the logging of communications to be an immoral
> > action at all.  However, some possible actions taken on this
> > information CAN be immoral.  Any actions taken on log information
> > should be done with the with the highest regard to privacy, ethics
> > and morals.
>
> Another approach of courae has making all logs public and
> un-editable.  It then becomes difficult to define any action derived
> from log contents as improper as that data is know "in the puiblic
> domain" as it were.

[Following this post and some subsequent]

This creates a significant IC problem - more often than rare, you _may_
have to reach some agreement with your group members/allies/enemies
against other enemies/whatever, and keep it secret. This _IS_ a
roleplaying, isn't it?

Now, if you make all the logs available, none of your actions are a
secret anymore, and to keep having fun may be problematic.

Not to mention that I have everything logged, too :-)

BTW, the logging mechanism is pretty sophisticated to prevent it from
introducing the performance penalties to the engine - basically, in the
main thread I just perform inexpensive operations (like queuing the log
message) and then perform all expensive processing in the background
with a minimum priority.

Also, some less trivial tricks like keeping the client (Java applet) log
at the server side, redirection, filtering etc.

Source code is available (Java).

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <VadimT at 4CS.Com>