[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sun Dec 14 12:27:21 CET 1997

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Richard Woolcock wrote:
> Stephen Zepp wrote:
> > Richard Woolcock wrote:[snip]

> > > The problem I can see is - if the crowd is really big, would I actually be ABLE
> > > to recognise everyone (or even anyone)?  What if you barely know them?  Could
> > > a thief (as in someone who had just robbed you, rather than thief class) hide
> > > in a crowd to escape the authorities?  Maybe you should have to push through a
> > > crowd in order to find someone?[snip]
> > make the recognition just a check against vision ( perception stat ) and how well
> > you know them?
>
> But should this depend on the size of the crowd?  Could you recognise your friend
> Bob the dwarf if he is standing in a huge crowd?  What about Joe the Giant?  Would
> you suddenly notice new people over time if you stood in the crowd long enough?
> For example:

Sidenote: Richard, your mail reader does not seem to be formatting to
78-80 characters per line? :)

The size of the cloud does not directly affect your chance of recognising
someone. It does however affect your chance of *noticing they are there*
and you should either not see everyone in a crowd, receive far less
information, or simply have a far greater chance of failing to recognise
them. UNLESS as you point out they stick out like a sore thumb, eg a giant
in a crowd of humans (not a dwarf - theyd get kinda hidden!).

> ]north
> You are standing on a grassy knoll.
> There is a large crowd of people all around you.  You recognise Bob and Joe in
> the crowd.
> ]say hi bob, have you seen Bubba?
> You say 'hi Bob, have you seen Bubba?'
> Bob says 'He said he would meet us here, but I've been standing around for several
> minutes now and I've still not seen him'
>
> Of course this would also mean that if you saw someone, the chances are they
> would also see you.  I suppose this is more about the players location than
> anything.

Yeah, but not necessarily - I might recognise you but you might not
recognise me (or spot, in the crowd scenario).

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	ICQ: 5580107
"I shall never believe that God plays dice with the world." -Einstein