[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Stephen Zepp zoran at enid.com
Sat Dec 13 21:23:03 CET 1997

--------------567C1869B967DB2572C04A6D

Richard Woolcock wrote:

> Stephen Zepp wrote:
> >
> > Richard Woolcock wrote:[snip]
> > > The problem I can see is - if the crowd is really big, would I actually be ABLE
> > > to recognise everyone (or even anyone)?  What if you barely know them?  Could
> > > a thief (as in someone who had just robbed you, rather than thief class) hide
> > > in a crowd to escape the authorities?  Maybe you should have to push through a
> > > crowd in order to find someone?[snip]
> > make the recognition just a check against vision ( perception stat ) and how well
> > you know them?
>
> But should this depend on the size of the crowd?  Could you recognise your friend
> Bob the dwarf if he is standing in a huge crowd?  What about Joe the Giant?  Would
> you suddenly notice new people over time if you stood in the crowd long enough?
> For example:
>
> ]north
> You are standing on a grassy knoll.
> There is a large crowd of people all around you.  You recognise Bob and Joe in
> the crowd.
> ]say hi bob, have you seen Bubba?
> You say 'hi Bob, have you seen Bubba?'
> Bob says 'He said he would meet us here, but I've been standing around for several
> minutes now and I've still not seen him'
>
> Of course this would also mean that if you saw someone, the chances are they
> would also see you.  I suppose this is more about the players location than
> anything.
>
> Perhaps I am just getting over-complicated now?
>
> KaVir.

I dont think so, but what you metioned isn't that difficult...if they have to "scan crowd", or have an automatic timed
"recognition loop" for people in Line of Sight, or whatever, that handles what you're talking about...multiple checks
over time will allow late recognition of someone in a crowd...add in depth of crowd, partial line of sight, whatever you
wish :)

--------------567C1869B967DB2572C04A6D

begin:          vcard
fn:             Stephen Zepp
n:              Zepp;Stephen
org:            Lords of the Shadow ( telnet://soe.nuc.net:8888 )
email;internet: zoran at enid.com
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1