[MUD-Dev] OT: Books

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Fri Dec 12 13:47:04 CET 1997

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Adam Wiggins wrote:

:[coder at ibm.net:]

:> One thing I have have noted in my logs to consider is doing a parallel to
:> the Veils of Alzaroc (a great book BTW).  Very simply, in the book people

:<Off Topic:>
:Folks mention books on here from time to time, and I usually make
:a point to go check them out.  We've asked what muds are most influential
:to people's creative processes (although, it might be time to ask again
:as it's been a while).  I'd like to know what books people consider
:influential to their mud creation or even mudding style.  Personally
:I've labored to try to get the muds I've worked on to be much more
:like the best books I've read; in particular I like to imagine how
:scenes from my favorite fiction would transpire on my mud.  In some
:cases such lines of thought have lead to me redesigning whole sections
:of the game...

Likewise, and this is a good thread...

:I'll start, although now that I think of it the task of remembering
:all the books that I have drawn on over the years is a bit difficult.

OK, here goes my book list:

R. A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers (if you saw the movie without reading the
book, or read the book and still liked the movie, shame on you.)

 - this, primarily, was my model for the ideal behavior of characters who
were members of an organized militia, and still managing a feeling of
individual heroism... and a bit of social growth.

Star Wars (anything from this setting)

- naturally, as there is an element of space opera in the storytelling style
I employ, this is a good model for the "feel" of the game... mind you, an
increasingly overwhelmed model, as harsher elements increase.

David Weber's Empire series, and DW and Steve White's various colaborations,
and pretty much anything else Weber has done

- these have been liberally ripped off for the naval settings, especially the
interspecies relations and border tactics...

Elizabeth Moon's Paksanarian books

- the dynamics of a mercenary cavalry, though applied differently, are quite
important to early elements of my game. This series forms the basis for my
"remotivated resistance" subplot.

--

"You? We can't take you," said the Dean, glaring at the Librarian.
"You don't know a thing about guerilla warfare." - Reaper Man,