[MUD-Dev] Re: Combat

Tue Apr 29 08:02:57 CEST 1997

[Jon L:]
:I would venture to guess that if your NPCs make their attacks regular time
:frames of duration X and your PCs attacks/commands are processed at a
:regular rate of Y(orX) duration you do indeed have rounds.

NPC's attack cycle is usually random, based on their 'speed' stat. Some
are down to a couple of seconds. Players can attack as often as they can
ram the commands through. However, on every player attack, the NPC has
a swing too (unless it just got killed). Which hit connects first depends
(with randomness) on the two speed attributes. Not a lot of planning went
into the system, but it seems to work not bad. Does this count as 'rounds'?

I think I would handle combat-fatigue and busy-ness (if I ever put it in!)
as a simple time-interval computation from the last "hard" command executed.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA