[MUD-Dev] Re: Verb binding

Tue Apr 29 07:55:34 CEST 1997

[Chris L:]
:>The discussion of verb
:>binding has hit on this, and it was said that global verbs were more
:>expensive to implement, which I can't see.
:
:I thought I replied to this before.  The initial expense is that you
:have to launch a search to find the correct verb to run, and then have
:launch a whole new search to find a search or searches to find the
:objects for that verb to run on.

Perhaps I forgot that reply. If you have global verbs, there is *no*
search to do - just look the string up in a hash table. Many verbs can
guide the search for an object by eliminating some of the possible
places. E.g. 'drop' doesn't have to look anywhere except in your
inventory. Earlier discussion has shown examples where having the verbs
attached to objects has to do the multiple searches, however. Perhaps
we've said enough on this, and will simply have to disagree.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA