[MUD-Dev] DGN:Reasons for play[was: EmergentBehaviors spawnedfrom...]

Koster, Raph rkoster at soe.sony.com
Thu Sep 29 13:59:16 CEST 2005

Pandora wrote:

> I think the game "Pokemon Snap" was one of those things that you
> say aren't a game.  I haven't played it, but it looked like pretty
> much just that.  Your goal is to create unique and interesting
> photographs, travelling around a virtual savannah with critters in
> it that just won't stay still gosh darnit.

Pokemon Snap was very much a game in every sense of the word. You
moved on rails through a landscape, and FPS-style clicked on
creatures that popped up tring to center them in the screen as best
as possible. You were awarded points based on the "quality of
composition" of your picture. It was very difficult to catch all the
creatures that popped up, and you were always trying to get a better
shot. This core mechanic was then wrapped around a standard game of
collecting things.