[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was: Emergent Behaviorsspawnedfrom...]

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Fri Sep 9 23:38:41 CEST 2005

On Sep 1, 2005, at 6:49 PM, Sean Howard wrote:
> "Amanda Walker" <amanda at alfar.com> wrote:

>> If you pick up a copy of Unreal Tournament, for example,
>> everything on the box (or the computer running a demo) screams
>> "I'm a guy game."  This doesn't stop women from buying it and
>> playing it, of course (it happens to be my favorite FPS), but it
>> does communicate to women that they are an incidental market for
>> that game.

> You are complaining about cultures, not gender.

I'm not complaining about either--I'm noting that gender has
cultural markers, and that people pay attention to them.

> [...] Marketing is about selling ice to eskimos - you can't trust
> it to be indicative of what people really are or really want.

True.  But if you're trying to sell ice, it pays to know what people
who are looking for ice expect, and what the cultural labels for
"ice" are in your target market.  A flame job on your truck may not
be the best choice ;-).

Amanda Walker