[MUD-Dev] DGN: Random questions about griefers

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Thu Sep 8 18:32:06 CEST 2005

Mike Rozak writes:

> 3) What are some successful (and unsuccessful) ways of uniquely
> identifying users to prevent griefers? And how well does it work?

>>From the Blue Sky Files:

  What would happen if the gaming industry created an online gaming
  registration identification program?  Outlet stores like EB Games
  could perform the registration process, acting much like a
  Department of Motor Vehicles to establish some basics about the
  person, including photo identification.  Those without driver's
  licenses must appear with a parent or guardian.

  All registrations go into an industry-wide database of players.
  Web sites, games and various other online entertainment venues
  could then rely upon it to establish an identity.  There's no need
  for the consumers of the information to know anything about the
  person other than the fact that they are identity XYZ.
  Conceivably, the identity system could (perhaps must) provide
  billing as well.

I know the immediate reaction is one of "It's a barrier to
purchasing any product that uses this system."  The answer to that
is making the system not a barrier but an enticement.  Simplified
billing and signup, trusted and/or long-term reputations that permit
preferred access to new game betas - or even to trusted servers with
relaxed game rules.  Perhaps settings could be stored there that
could be applied to any game that the player cared to play.  Perhaps
free games would become accessible to people who have signed up,
simply because the free game developers have some sense of trust
over who their players are.  Perhaps demographic-specific games
could then be enforced.  No 45 year old men in Barbi World Online.

This would require essentially all significant gaming companies to
hop on the bandwagon, else the system's value is seriously eroded.
The value to the game companies is knowing who it is that is playing
their games.  Not by name and address, nor even by credit card
number, but by gaming identity.  If the system can be trusted to
ensure one gaming identity to each player, then if Sony wants to
suspend player XYZ's access for a month, they can do it reliably.
If they want demographic information about a player, then they
simply ask the identity system "Is this player female?".  If such
questions may only be asked in response to a player requesting
service from a game company, then player personal information is
better protected.

Fundamentally, the cost of such a system would probably kill off any
enthusiasm for its adoption.  Perhaps a nominal fee for each signup
could limit the cost to the industry.  But I wonder what the
long-term consequences of online gaming would be if such a system
came into being.  Would gaming become less wild-west, and attract
more people?

Just as I wonder what the web experience would become if such a
system were established for the entirety of the web.

JB