[MUD-Dev] Attack System

Tiago Carita tiago.carita at ydreams.com
Thu Sep 1 12:32:46 CEST 2005

Dhiego Ramos wrote:

> I'm developing a web-based mmog (strategy game) and I wan't to
> know your opinions about the attack system.

> The basic formula of the system is:

>   Sum (all dices rolled by attackers) / number of attackers
>     - Sum(all dices rolled by defenders)/number of defenders.

Hi...

Well... you are considering that you can only attack if you win
defense?

Well in my humble opinion I would not counter Magik with the magic
directly.

Lets see for example if your mages cast a Fireball then the attacked
mages will only counter it with spells if they have a spell (dome of
protection, Fire Shield or something)but what if they don't have it?

I would do something more like this:

  Battle begins
  Check witch group is faster, the fastest attack first.
  HIT?
    10 mages  cast Fireball (10 toHit dices)
       - 1 automatic fails, 10's automatic hit
       - The rest are tested against a probability lets see 6+
       - imagine 5 of 10 fireballs Land on the mark
  DAMAGE
    Do victims have protective spells?
    YES
      If strength of the protective spell higher that the attacker
      fireball it evades else goto
    NO
      Do victims have protective spells?
      NO
        - each fireball have 3 (magik) points of strength so they
        deal 3 pts of damage on target and random distribute another
        3 times 1 point of damage to others around (splash damage)
        (if the mages had 5 magic each fireball would hit for 5 dmg
        and distribute other 5 points randomly)
        - a fireball will hit a target and the target can counter
        part of the damage lets see all mages have a Toughness of 1
        so you subtract from damage 1 point, splash damage cannot be
        countered

Surviving Victims will attack when their turn comes up..

It's too complicated??? It seams I was carried away :-P

Tiago Carita