[MUD-Dev] Reward system for social gaming?

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Sat Oct 15 17:29:10 CEST 2005

Arnau Josep Rossell=F3 Castell=F3 wrote:

>> All the "skills" in the game can only be gained through
>> socializing.  All the skills are ranked 0-10. You can't practice
>> a skill to get better, you must find someone better then
>> yourself, persuade them to teach you, and then spend considerable
>> time with them practicing.

> I'm curious but doesn't this lead to "join me in room X in 5 min,
> I'm going to the cinema so I'll leave the teaching on meanwhile"
> and then he and all the others in the room go afk together? If it
> doesn't happen is by mechanism or just the community isn't like
> that?

There are two aspects of this.

The first is that yes, this sometimes does happen. You have to be
active (you can't go AFK), but sometimes people will teach with the
absolute minimal interaction. The community actively discourages it,
but it does happen.

The second is that it is still a social mechanic -- you've got to
persuade someone to do this, and the only way to "pay" for the
lessons is still by offering some social value. It might not be
during the teaching itself, but you aren't going to teach your
valuable skills to others unless you are going to get some benefit
from them elsewhere in the game.

-- Christopher Allen