[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was: EmergentBehaviorsspawnedfrom...]

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Thu Oct 13 17:42:31 CEST 2005

"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:

> I submit that "good" is just a way of saying "has value".

Not good enough. A ball of string has value to a baby, but that doesn't
mean a ball of string is better or worse than any other ball of string.

I'm watching this 70s tv series called Kolchak: The Night Stalker. As
television, it doesn't quite stand up to what we watch today, but it has
been hugely influential over the years and has a sizable cult following.
It has a unique identity that has been copied many times since, and by
many, its historical value alone makes it good.

But is it better or worse than The X-Files, a show admittedly influenced
by Kolchak? The only way to check that is to see what added value X-Files
has brought to the genre that Kolchak essentially created. Is it just a
clone, or did it use that influence to make something "good"? Likewise, is
Burnout Revenge "good" compared to Burnout 3?

So, I'd say that having value alone is not enough. Having additional
unique value over that which came before it, over its influences, may be
an important part of the equation.

- Sean