[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Role playing

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Oct 13 16:39:03 CEST 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 6:01 PM, Michael Hartman wrote:

> Voice chat adds absolutely nothing over text in an online role
> play session. It can only detract.

Even aside from in-game issues, there's an overriding RL issue with
voice chat for some of us: it's noisy.  I can mute my laptop and use
text chat while waiting for a plane, during a long conference call
or corporate training seminar, late at night when my housemates are
asleep, in a hotel room with thin walls, etc.  Given the realities
of my life, any game without a "silent play" option is a
non-starter.

Amanda Walker