[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was: Emergent Behaviorsspawnedfrom...]

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Oct 12 20:49:11 CEST 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Sean Howard wrote:

> Wow, I guess everybody has read his language stuff but
> me. Ironically, it is his political writings which would be more
> interesting to this list.  Something like "Manufacturing Consent"
> would be amazingly insightful into how to run and control a
> community. What are gamers other than willing participants of
> propaganda? Read any game previews recently? :)

"Mein Kampf" would be equally worth mentioning along the same lines
;-) As for language theory, most folks who were Comp Sci majors have
been exposed to it at least a bit during compiler design, as it's
all based on general language theory.  For what it's worth, the Wiki
seems like a decent place to start:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_language

Sean