[MUD-Dev] Newbie in-flow

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Sun Oct 9 07:04:22 CEST 2005

I just read on Illutia's listing in MMORPG.com that they had 50,000
user accounts created in a year. This surprised me since the game
has consistently been rated around 4.0 out of 10.0 by MMORPG.com
users, putting it on the bottom 5% of games listed in MMORPG.com. I
would have expected fewer try-outs with that sort of score, although
50K is about 1% if the non-Asian MMORPG market, which is probably
reasonable.

Is anyone (who runs a low-budget virtual world) willing to say how
many new users try out their game a year? Any histograms on how long
most players stay? (I expect that most people leave after the first
hour, but I could easily be wrong.) What's the 1-month retention
rate? (1%? 5%?) What's the bubble like on first announce?

Thanks

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au