RE : [MUD-Dev] Removing the Massively from MMOG (long)

Jean, Yannick yannick.jean at cgi.com
Mon Nov 21 15:40:04 CET 2005

On November 18th, Lachek Butalek wrote:

> One of the selling points of WoW, for example, was that it was
> balanced and polished enough that you could solo without any major
> issues - indeed, some reviewers claimed it was "playable as a
> single player game", and made it sound like a good thing. My
> question was, why am I paying $14.95/month for a single player
> game, which only differs majorly from Morrowind in that it
> features annoying twits running around speaking in l33t?

How many wildly successful games will be necessary before soloing
gain the right to be a valid play style in MMORPG ?

On the subject, I recommend reading Dave Rickey
(http://feetofclay.us/) "Robot Jesus" article on WoW churn
rate. Basically, I am submitting the idea that maybe ingame social
ties are not the end-all be-all of player retention, as previously
thought.