[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Personal NPCs

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Thu Nov 17 22:01:25 CET 2005

Lydia Leong wrote:

> There are MUDs that have these kinds of connections. There's also
> at least one MMOG that does, as well -- Pirates of the Burning
> Sea.

Thanks... I hadn't seen that passage the POTBS web page. I'll have
to check out the game when it comes out.

The line from their web site, "And since each NPC can have multiple
roles, the pirate who is your arch-nemesis may be the good friend
and ally of an enemy player", implies that there are 1000 (to pick a
number) NPCs in the world, and that each player is assigned a
handful of them to be contacts/mentors. If the NPCs are shared, then
it wouldn't be possible for a player's action to ever affect the NPC
in signficant ways (the most significant being death of the NPC).

Any ideas which MUDs have this feature?

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au