[MUD-Dev] Reward system for social gaming?

Damien Neil damien.neil at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 10:13:45 CET 2005

On 10/18/05, Sean Howard <squidi at squidi.net> wrote:

> You'd be okay with having the wealth amassed over years of
> dedicated playing to be taken away in a heartbeat because your
> trusted friends turned on you? Either you are okay with a virtual
> community based on mistrust, betrayal, and paranoia, or you just
> think the idea is nifty "in theory". I think it's cool that it
> happened, but I also think that virtual property shouldn't be
> considered throwaway. It has value, and as that guy in Korea
> demonstrated, it can be worth killing over to some people.

I love a game where my friends choose not to take the wealth amassed
over years away from me, even though they could--because they're my
friends.

I can't play that game without the possibility of being betrayed.=20
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

And I've played a game in which betrayal on that scale was a real
possibility...and on occasion did suffer some betrayals, although
not on that scale. It was worth it.

                   - Damien